Friday 8 October 2010

Pimped Pirogger

You can find them all over the world with differnet names : Pasties, Empanadas - Pirogger.
A small "all in one" meal! They can be used for the lunch box or picnic - what ever.



I got inspired to bake these again after flicking through Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero

Here is the basic dough recpie :
  •  3 Cups of light brown Self raising flour. I guess half white, half brown would work as well!
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 6 tbsp chilled nonhydrogenated vegan shortening
  • 3 tbsp nonhydrogenated vegan margarine
  • 3/4 cup cold water
I use my food processor : pulse the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the shortening and margarine - pulse.
It has to turn into a sand like mixture.Now mix with your hands, adding the water. Knead it.
It should be a soft and stretchy dough. Cover the dough and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
You don't have to use all the dough immediately. I will keep in the fridge for 4 - 5 days.

Now the filling! Raid you fridge and be inspired!

The day I baked these, I had a sweet potato and some spinach to use. So I cubed the sweet potato - small cubes. Chopped a onion and some garlic. Stir fry this in a wok. Add some curry powder and continue until softer. Salt and pepper. Then I added some roughly chopped spinach into the potato mix until soften. Of the heat and crumble some feta into the mixture or some soy cheese if you are like me.

Now ready to make the pirogger!
Set the oven to 200 degrees. Roll the dough in to a small ball, smack it flat on the table top or use a rolling pin. Now add the filling, not too much or you won't be able to close it.

And close the Pirog with a fork - look at the picture.

Brush with a beaten egg or some soy cream and into the oven for 25 min.
So now your turn - Raid your fridge and pimp you pirog !

No comments:

Post a Comment